On May 25, 2007, I began 101 days of a Summer Sabbatical which has two purposes: Renewal and Refocus
RENEWAL is what I am seeking personally. It is the inside stuff of having a fully alive, fully engaged heart with God.
REFOCUS is what I am seeking in my ministry - a BIG GOD-VIEW PERSPECTIVE.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

SABBATICAL FEARS

It’s true – deep inside this image of courage – I do have fears. Nothing keeps me from sleeping at night – but these Sabbatical fears come close . . .

  • That the custodial team will rebel & put the TP on under the falls . . .
  • That the women I most like to hug on Sundays – Pat and Helen and Barb and Helen and Marian and Arlene and Janet and – well, there are so many – will find their hug needs met through Pastor Dave or Jon and they won’t need me anymore . . .
  • That the preaching will be so great that no one will miss me . . .
  • That the relocation will take place while I’m gone and I won’t be able to find our church when I get back
  • That the summer ministry interns will have youth sleep-overs in my office or that the Vacation Bible School rallies will be held in my office or the staff will hide dead things in there
  • That so many people will offer help in my absence that the staff will be overwhelmed and not able to place people in Kingdom difference ministries

Tough fears – makes me glad I don’t have to worry about . . .

  • A slowing of the great momentum we are experiencing
  • Church people “going on Sabbatical from church” while I’m gone
  • Ministry Fund giving “dipping”
  • The final months of imagine losing ground in preparing us financially and in our characters for the relocation journey ahead
  • A cooling of the passion for caring for and reaching our community, region, and world

My biggest fear remains – the fear of missing out on all God is doing in our church family!

No comments: