On May 25, 2007, I began 101 days of a Summer Sabbatical which has two purposes: Renewal and Refocus
RENEWAL is what I am seeking personally. It is the inside stuff of having a fully alive, fully engaged heart with God.
REFOCUS is what I am seeking in my ministry - a BIG GOD-VIEW PERSPECTIVE.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Reflections On the Plane

OK, I didn't realize how difficult it would be. I'm sure most people look at this Sabbatical time and say, "Wow - sure wish I could do that!" Some have thought that this is just an extended vactation - my favorite - "The God-Cation."

Truth of the matter is, the leaving has been hard . . .
  • Hard to leave people you love so much
  • Hard to let go of responsibilities you carry
  • Hard to leave people you do daily life with
  • Hard to let go and be led when you are used to leading
  • Hard to leave unfinished responsibilities (or at least I think they are unfinished)
  • Hard to leave everyone behind (even Gwen for the first 15 days)

Can I also share the tension - the polarity - in desiring God but the fear I have of finding Him?

It was strangely wonderful to get on the plane . . . Hopes mixed with fears . . .

I'm so glad - The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were excited for you PD. Good to see your first post . . . "Hard" will be good. I say, bring it on!
Iron sharpens Iron, as they say. Just relax and enjoy the sharpening ! Much love - J&J

Dan said...

thanks for sharing this, dennis. i hope this time really is refreshing, but also challenging, encouraging, elarging, and exciting for you.

you're a great pastor, and i can't wait to see what God has in store for you and slwc as a result of this time.

miss you already!

Anonymous said...

Dennis, usually God does his biggest work within us when we can't rely on our own strengths. Keep leaning into Him big time!!! He won't let you down. In Him,
Linda N

Anonymous said...

the god-cation, so funny. haha. hope that your time is so wonderful. even though there is a lot to leave behind, it will all be there to go back to, right? anyway, love you lots.

SHARLENE said...

Dennis, rest assured everything is under control. Pete has taken over your office, Cecil is skipping work every afternoon, Jon has burned the organ, Dave H. took off for some deserted island (mission work, you know), Dave D. sold his house and moved his family into yours, Jen says VBS is out of the question this summer, and the youth leaders have all mysteriously disappeared. No worries, though, everything is cool. Have a wonderful God-cation.

We love you and miss you.

Shar

Josh Jackson said...

Can't wait for the next one! Thanks for the updates.