On May 25, 2007, I began 101 days of a Summer Sabbatical which has two purposes: Renewal and Refocus
RENEWAL is what I am seeking personally. It is the inside stuff of having a fully alive, fully engaged heart with God.
REFOCUS is what I am seeking in my ministry - a BIG GOD-VIEW PERSPECTIVE.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Middle Thoughts . . .

So a couple of days ago I hit the mid-point of the 101 days of the Sabbatical Journey. . . Hard to believe in some ways and yet somehow very appropriate.


Typical days contain the same basic elements:
  • I journal daily
  • I average 6-8 hours of sleep (2-3 more than my usual pattern)
  • I walk 2-4 miles
  • I read books (1-2 per week)
  • I pray - mostly for family, the team, the church (Day 1 and especially Youth camp and VBS over the past couple of weeks) and individuals as God brings them to mind (those who have suffered losses - Helen, Kass, Dale's family)
  • I eat yogurt with peaches every a.m.
  • I cook a meal usually every day (we usually catch one out every other day)
  • We eat ice cream at the same place every night with Ivan who welcomes us with laughter (I usually get a dip of blueberry, strawberry, and lemon)!
  • I listen to worship songs that you all are singing back home . . . this has been more filling to my soul than I could have imagined (thanks Pastor Jon for My Savior Loves, My Savior lives, My Savior's always there for me. My God He was, My God He is, My God is always going to be).
  • Gwen & I share deeply . . . about what we are reading, about family and friends, about deeper works we both sense God is doing in our hearts. We celebrate intimacy. We talk through growth points in our marriage. We laugh and usually watch portions of a movie (Lord of the Rings, Sleepless in Seattle, Count of Monte Christo).
  • We pray and take communion together.
  • I reflect on Psalm 23 and seek Him . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures from Croatia. I have heard back from several people about your ministry to them in Europe. Thanks for loving our workers in the field. You may want to consider incresing the icecream intake to twice daily!
Dave Horne

Anonymous said...

Been thinking of you guys often. Missing you at small group. Had an awesome discussion last time about Just Walk Across the Room. Everyone is very interested in making the most of their relationships. It's very cool. Just read Josh's blog. Apparently his days are filled with digging holes in the sand while the Mediterranean laps at his feet. Between you and him, I am wondering if anyone would like to trade their Eurpoean vacation for learning to walk again while chasing after 3 toddlers in Fruitport, Michigan? :) Didn't think so. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

That previous post was from Sheila. Emmett's becoming quite proficient with the keyboard and published it a bit too soon!